Cheryl (formerly Cheryl Cole) is making her first major acting debut after being cast in hit West End Play 2:22 A Ghost Story.
On Wednesday, it was announced that Cheryl will take over the lead role of Jenny from January 2023. She described the acting gig as “a totally new and exciting experience for me.”
Our MUST-SEE thriller continues its West End takeover from 21 Jan at The Lyric Theatre, starring @CherylOfficial as ‘Jenny’, @hugob0ssman as ‘Ben’, Louise Ford as ‘Lauren’ and Scott Karim as ‘Sam’ – for 14 weeks ONLY. Book your tickets now 👻#222aghoststory @NimaxTheatres pic.twitter.com/FfY4NQHI8T
— 2:22 A Ghost Story (@222aghoststory) December 7, 2022
In a nutshell: This is a surprising and bold career move for Cheryl.
- It is easy to forget but Cheryl was once one of the biggest stars in the U.K and a cultural icon.
- She graced the cover of British Vogue and was the first British woman to be signed by L’Oreal Paris after Kate Moss.
- Until 2018, Cheryl held the record for the British female solo artist with the most UK number-one singles. Her role as a judge on The X Factor made her a national treasure and she seemed to have a big future ahead.
- However in 2018, Cheryl left Polydor Records (a business partnership that had produced five number-one hit singles) and instead hired her PA Lily England as her manager.
- Cheryl’s comeback single Love made me do it (which she co-wrote) flopped and effectively ended her music career.
- Cheryl’s lucrative L’Oreal contract was also terminated after nine years and her return to TV judging on the BBC’s The Greater Dancer came to an abrupt end when the show was axed after two seasons.
- Until 2:22 A Ghost Story’s announcement, it was unclear what Cheryl would do next in her career or if she would ever return to the limelight.
Why we care so much: Although 2:22 A Ghost Story has made some random casting decisions in recent times, the play is still critically acclaimed and earned singer Lily Allen a Best Actress nomination at the Olivier Awards.
Cheryl’s casting in the play has both surprised and intrigued social media. The media will be intensely watching Cheryl’s career pivot.