Rihanna performed at the Super Bowl Halftime Show at the State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona on February 12 — her first live performance in over seven years.
Rihanna, who gave birth to her first child with rapper A$AP Rocky in May 2022, also revealed that she was pregnant with her second child during her long-awaited musical comeback.
Rihanna follows last year’s Superbowl Show, which featured Eminem alongside Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Mary J. Blige, 50 Cent, Anderson .Paak, and Kendrick Lamar.
— NFL (@NFL) February 13, 2023
What were the critic’s opinions on Rihanna’s Super Bowl show?
- “Rihanna hasn’t released an album since “Anti” in 2016, and many in her fervent fan base took her willingness to perform at the Super Bowl this year as a sign that her return to music might be imminent. Perhaps she would announce a new single or album, or maybe a tour. Instead, she used one of pop music’s biggest stages to assert that despite all of that collective anticipation, she had other things to focus on: a private life to return to. So if her actual onstage delivery had been slightly weary, well, there were more important things to focus on.” — The New York Times
- “Her halftime show capitalized on her reputation as being unbothered and effortlessly cool — no musical guest, barely any choreography, no stress or strenuousness… But it’s not necessarily the energy one expects from a Super Bowl performance, where performers such as The Weeknd in 2021, or Jennifer Lopez and Shakira in 2020, meet the pressure of the spotlight with intense, clear perfectionism.” — The Guardian
- “Rihanna sang to roughly 100 million members of the human race near the start of her Super Bowl halftime performance on Sunday night — and somehow, she got exactly what she asked for: civilization’s undivided attention for 13 minutes while she made her streamlined expertise look, sound and feel like total nonchalance.” – The Washington Post
- “Rihanna stalked the various levitating stages in a red jumpsuit, with a red plastic bra and baby bump visible underneath. The message was clear: motherhood and sex symbol status are very much compatible.” — The Times of London
- “It was a show that only someone like Rihanna —who has too many chart-topping songs to count on two hands — could achieve. And that’s because, like Rihanna, it was far more chill compared to the unforgettable half-time shows of the recent past.” — The Daily Beast
- “It was a fan-satisfying performance that was nonetheless low on surprises, except for one — and yet again, Rihanna has the world talking while not giving much away.” — Variety
What’s next?: During her Super Bowl Halftime show, Rihanna did some product placement and pulled out a Fenty Beauty compact. While the singer’s musical comeback looks less certain, it seems like she will be continuing to focus on her Fenty Beauty empire — the cosmetics brand that made her a billionaire.
There is nothing more Rihanna than Rihanna reapplying Fenty powder in the middle of her Super Bowl halftime show. pic.twitter.com/t1DUIl5wkr
— Alex Goldschmidt (parody) (@alexandergold) February 13, 2023
Image credits: Header photo sourced via YouTube/NFL.