According to TikTok, the Kardashian era is over.
The Kardashian and Jenner family have been a mainstay in pop culture for the last fifteen years.
However, TikTok users believe that the Kardashian-Jenners are losing popularity and the family is struggling to maintain relevance with Gen Z.
@aestheticc11113 #fyp #foryou #kardashians #jenner #kimkardashian #kourtneykardashian #khloekardashian #krisjenner #kendalljenner #kyliejenner #haileybieber #justinbieber #selenagomez #viral #trending ♬ Suspense, horror, piano and music box – takaya
- Page Six reports that the Kardashians and the Jenners may not be invited to the Met Gala this year. If the rumors are true, this will be the first Met Gala that the family has not attended in a decade and a sign of growing anti-Kardashian sentiment in the celebrity world. Kim Kardashian also been heavily criticized by social media users for reportedly damaging Marilyn Monroe’s historic “Happy Birthday Mr President” dress when she wore it to the Met Gala last year.
- Gen Z thinks the Kardashian-Jenners have lost the “it-girl” factor and their look is outdated. In a recent study, Gen Z was asked to name their favorite influencer and not one of the Kardashian-Jenner family members made the top five. According to a viral tweet, research shows that Gen Z has difficulty relating to 25-year-old Kylie Jenner as she has overly “millennialized her face”. Millennial consumers previously wanted cosmetic fillers to emulate Kylie Jenner’s plumped-up, pillowy face. But Gen Z thinks the Kardashians’ fillers look strange and old-fashioned.
- The Kardashians-Jenners are simply not relatable to TikTok users. Gen Z increasingly prefers more authentic celebrities and the out-of-touch Kardashian-Jenners represent materialistic “millennial” values. The family has been criticized for their displays of wealth and heavy use of Photoshop on Instagram.
- The Kardashians-Jenners have developed a “mean girl” reputation among Gen Z users. Following a perceived feud with Selena Gomez this month, Kylie Jenner lost over one million followers on Instagram. Meanwhile, Selena Gomez gained an estimated 19 million followers and took Kylie’s place as the most followed woman on Instagram. Fans also turned on singer Bad Bunny after rumors surfaced that he is dating Kendall Jenner and Khloe Kardashian continues to be criticized for her “humiliating” treatment of Jordyn Woods in the 2019 Tristan Thompson cheating scandal.
- There is a lack of trust in the Kardashian-Jenner brand. Gen Z is tired of the family’s denial of cosmetic surgery — which was highlighted with some recent paparazzi pics of Kim Kardashian. A viral TikTok video also suggests that the family only posts photos of their daughters on Instagram because they cannot “profit” off their sons.
- Kylie Jenner’s association with her ex-boyfriend Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival 2021, where 10 people including a 9-year-old boy died after a stampede broke out, has also put off TikTok users. In February, Kylie Jenner sparked backlash when she threw an Astroworld themed birthday party for her daughter Stormi despite the tragedy and ongoing lawsuits by the victims’ families.
But: Even if the Kardashian-Jenners’ relevance may be waning, the family’s empire may be too big to fail. Kim’s shapewear brand Skims is worth $3.2 billion alone.
And: There are new claims that Kim Kardashian may still be attending the Met Gala this year. Kim was said to be “embarrassed” by the reports that she was not invited to the even.
Update 03/24/2023 by Pesala Bandara: Information on Kim’s potential Met Gala invite added.