There has been a rise in women getting their breast implants removed.
- According to data published in 2023 by International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS), the number of women seeking to remove breast implants increased globally by 49.6% in the past four years.
- Meanwhile, the number of breast augmentation surgeries increased marginally, by 0.5%, over those same four years. Compared to other procedures, the number of breast augmentations has actually seen a relative decline.
- In recent years, celebrities like Chrissy Teigen, Ayesha Curry, and Blac Chyna (whose real name is Angela White) have spoken about getting their breast implants removed.
But: The rise in breast implant removals does not mean a decline in cosmetic surgery procedures.
- Instead, women are turning to other surgical procedures. Liposuction has overtaken breast augmentation as the most popular form of cosmetic surgery, accounting for 14.8% of procedures performed worldwide.
- Other popular surgical procedures include rhinoplasty, tummy tucks, and eyelid surgery.
- As in previous years, the U.S. had the most cosmetic surgeons in the world and accounted for almost 25% of procedures carried out worldwide.
Why it matters: The decline of breast augmentation and the rise of procedures like liposuction and tummy tucks are further indicators that the super-slim ideal is firmly back in.
After years of body positivity and the curvy body ideal previously championed by the Kardashians, consumers are increasingly chasing a “thin aesthetic.”
Also: While rare, the possible cancer risks associated with breast implants can also be linked to the procedure’s decline in recent years.