The Hollywood it-boy cast of Ridley Scott’s Gladiator 2 cast is the internet’s latest obsession.
one ticket for ridley scott's gladiator 2 with joseph quinn, pedro pascal, paul mescal, barry keoghan and denzel washington please pic.twitter.com/ODhGBO2jHT
— nadège loves joseph and pedro!!! (@capuletsheart) May 1, 2023
- On May 2, it was reported that “the internet’s Daddy” Pedro Pascal was the latest actor to join the cast of the Gladiator sequel.
- Pascal joins Paul Mescal, Barry Keoghan, Denzel Washington, and Joseph Quinn — actors who are all heavily considered as “internet boyfriends” (aka “nice guy” male celebrities for whom a large group of online users have a crush on.)
- Social media users are convinced that the Gladiator 2 casting directors looked to TikTok and Twitter stan culture for inspiration in curating the “internet thirst heavy” cast.
- Online users are already voicing their excitement to see Gladiator 2 which comes out in theaters in November 2024 — even though some Gen Z-ers admitted that they had not seen the first film.
They cast GLADIATOR 2 for the girls and the gays and to that I say thank you https://t.co/rGTbQLTtEf
— Zoë Rose Bryant (@ZoeRoseBryant) May 1, 2023
Why it’s important: The hype around Gladiator 2 reveals the power of casting in a dying movie industry.
- As the box office continues to struggle, curated film casts are being used to draw audiences back to the cinema.
- For example, the knowingly quirky and memeable ensemble cast of the Barbie movie –which includes Dua Lipa, Issa Rae, and Ncuti Gatwahas — has shaped the anticipation around the film. Barbie is scheduled to be released in June.
Also: The internet buzz around Gladiator 2’s “hot cast” points to the continued overt sexualization of male celebrities by fans and media — something which actors have been feeling increasingly uneasy about.