Taylor Swift’s fans are using the singer’s photo of her homebaked Joe Biden cookies to defend her against rumored romance with The 1975’s Matty Healy.
- Taylor Swift is facing backlash from some fans over her reported relationship with Matty Healy. Healy is a controversial figure who has faced accusations of racism, misogynism, and Islamophobia. Swift’s fans largely do not support their romance especially since the Midnights singer has previously spoken out against racial injustice.
- Social media users have put pressure on Swift to address Healy’s problematic past and why she thinks his behavior is acceptable with hashtag “#SpeakUpNow” (which references the singer’s upcoming re-recorded album Speak Now) There is even a Twitter campaign to unfollow Swift on social media platforms.
Taylor Swift’s new boyfriend, Matty Healy is being Racist, Islamphobic and problematic — A thread🧵 pic.twitter.com/zEMz00ewSf
— victor🦄 (@beyisover) May 6, 2023
swifties posting taylor’s Biden cookies that her and her millionaire friends ate to try to absolve her from criticism online… pic.twitter.com/t6tw2HgrJk
— alex 💭 ⁷ (@nothnghppens) May 18, 2023
The Biden/Harris Cookies Tweet
- In response to the backlash, Twitter fan account @swiftiesorority attempted to absolve Swift of any support of racism by sharing an Instagram photo that the singer posted in 2020 showing the cookies that she baked in support of the Joe Biden/Kamala Harris presidential ticket.
- In a now-deleted tweet, that amassed over 13.3 million views, @swiftiesorority wrote: “Before you type the word “racist” remember the Biden/Harris cookies Taylor made in response to Trump’s racism.”
- The tweet went viral and was widely criticized. A social media user commented: “LMFAO girls y’all need reflect on thinking baking cookies absolves her from perpetuating white supremacy. While others said that Swift baking Biden cookies did not make her less problematic: “What does that have to do with anything. Especially ongoing events.”
The Big Picture: Taylor Swift is not getting canceled anytime soon. Despite the blowback against Swift for her association with Healey, the singer is on the path to break the $1 billion mark with her current Eras tour.
— taylorflorals (@taylorssflorals) May 11, 2023
- Clearly, PR-mastermind Swift wants the public to know about her relationship with Healy and maybe his “bad-boy” image is part of her rebrand following her split with Joe Alwyn.
- As Zara McDonald points out in the Shameless podcast: “For the last six years, Taylor’s been in a settled, adult relationship and there was a wholesomeness to her. Now’s she single, 33, and maybe she’s like ‘F*ck that I don’t want to be wholesome anymore. I’m going to reject that former brand. I can still be layered and edgy even if I’m approaching the 35 cut-off age… I still have spark and shininess and Matty Healy is a part of that.”