TikTok is hating on this viral video a man posted of his “psycho” wife being a “cool mom.”
@thehartigfamily She been like this for the last 5 years.. 🤪 #mexicanrestaurant #couples #momtok ♬ original sound – ;D
- On April 29, Derek Hartig shared a video of his wife Ashley Hartig dancing and goofing around with their son as they ate at a Mexican restaurant alongside the caption: “POV you married a psycho because you knew she’d make a cool mom.”
- The video — which was posted to the family’s TikTok account @thehartigfamily — amassed over 15.8 million views and over 2.6 million likes.
- Thousands of viewers praised Derek for marrying Ashley: “You picked well.” While others said that they hoped to be a fun mom like her: “This is how I want to be as a parent.”
- This is not the first time Derek has posted a video like this. In February, he shared similar footage of Ashley dancing with their son at the same restaurant accompanied by the caption: “POV you married a crazy one because you knew she’d make a fun mom.”
The Backlash: But other viewers thought found the video contrived and frustrating.
@kf6bcbsk7dbcus9on7h2b1 #stitch with @thehartigfamily imagine thinking your wife is a crazy for not silently sitting still in public #feminism #whyareme ♬ original sound – pink emily
- In a TikTok video with over 1.6 million views, content creator Pink Emily shared a stitch of Derek’s video and commented: “Men will see a woman with a personality and call that psycho.”
- Viewers agreed with Pink Emily and said that “dancing in public” was not a “psycho” personality trait.
- Other TikTok users criticized Derek for thinking the video was “endearing” towards his wife and seeing “motherhood as her only purpose and future path” when he married Ashley.
- In another stitch, with over 2.6 million views, viewers compared Ashley acting “psycho” to the “not me being goofy” meme. Some TikTok users thought Ashley was acting like any other normal mom would with her child and argued that it wasn’t unique at all. While other felt Ashley’s behavior was forced and deliberately filmed for the camera.
@dudeisuckk #stitch with @Ashley & Derek Hartig ♬ original sound – dUL