Fans are already planning their outfits for the upcoming Barbie movie starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling.
@thel0veofyourlife1 Tbh I’ve been planning this for a whole year 😆 #barbiemovie #barbie #gretagerwigsbarbie #outfitplanning ♬ original sound – vicmram
the way im looking forward to this 😭
- The highly-anticipated film about the iconic Mattel doll is set for release in theaters on July 21.
- On social media, fans are so excited about Barbie that they have started meticulously preparing the pink outfits that they will be wearing to the cinema — one month in advance. TikTok users have hilariously compared the film’s release to the ordinary person’s Met Gala.
- The forthcoming film has inspired the rise of a “Barbiecore” fashion trend. The return of Barbiecore rose first rose in popularity within the fashion industry last year when Valentino had an entirely hot pink runway show.
- But in recent months, TikTokers have fully jumped on the hot pink aesthetic leading up to the film’s release. Margot Robbie has also exclusively donned Barbie doll inspired outfits on the movie’s press tour so far.
Why it matters: The Barbie movie is bringing people back to theaters.
- On TikTok videos, many viewers commented that they had already pre-booked their tickets for Barbie: “Already got my ticket and of course, it has to be a pink fit!”
- As the film industry struggles to bring audiences back to theaters post-pandemic, the excitement around the Barbie movie is giving new hope to the box office. According to internal projections seen by The Hollywood Reporter, Barbie is predicted to gross between $70 million to $80 million on its first three days in U.S. theaters — outperforming Oppenheimer in a major box office battle on its opening weekend.
What’s next: Barbie is so hotly-anticipated that Margot Robbie has confirmed that discussions are already underway for a potential sequel for the film.