Social media users are claiming that fans are “finally” hating and turning on Selena Gomez.
did i miss something why is selena gomez getting hate now
— gurleen (@gurleenkaur4162) July 5, 2023
- On June 28, Selena Gomez shared a photo to promote her new Rare Beauty make-up range on Instagram. While the post received over three million likes, Selena’s photo was bombarded by hateful comments — with Instagram users calling her “a drama queen” and an “attention seeker.”
- Instagram users seemed to take umbrage at how Selena had unfollowed Bella Hadid, Gigi Hadid, Zayn Malik, and Zendaya on June 26. Fans seem to be annoyed at Selena for seemingly starting drama with the supermodel sisters after she had already broken “girl code” dating Bella’s ex-boyfriend The Weeknd and Gigi’s baby daddy Zayn.
- After the singer’s unfollowing spree, there was a similar sentiment toward Selena among fans on TikTok. For example, in a viral TikTok video, with over 4.6 million views, Selena was dubbed “the OG homewrecker” for dating the Hadid sisters’ exes. The TikToker also brought up rumors of Selena’s alleged flirtation with Brad Pitt when he was married to Angelina Jolie and supposed romance with Orlando Bloom when he was dating Katy Perry.
- According to analytics platform Instrack, Selena also briefly lost 35,513 Instagram followers after she unfollowed these celebrities.
Why everyone on TikTok suddenly hate Selena Gomez?? What happened? 😭 like everyone went from loving her to hating? I’m confused
— 𝓑 ✯ (@1ntrovertBratz) July 5, 2023
Why it matters: Fans are confused about why the beloved Selena Gomez is suddenly getting hate.
- In March, Selena received widespread support from fans when the TikTok “bullying” drama scandal unfolded between her and Hailey Bieber over Justin Bieber. While Hailey lost one million followers on Instagram, Selena gained over 10 million as fans rallied around her.
- However, increasingly, the TikTok algorithm seems to be bringing up videos which are less supportive of Selena. And social media users are thanking the platform for “finally” turning on Selena and revealing her as the “villain.”
Hailey Bieber has had enough of being pitted against Selena Gomez 🙅♀️ pic.twitter.com/oLMozwzbjl
— MTV UK (@MTVUK) July 3, 2023
But: Selena’s fans have condemned the recent online hate towards the star over her innocent actions on Instagram.
In a recent interview with Bloomberg, Hailey also criticized the “twisted and perpetuated” narrative started by fans who have pit her against Selena over their relationships with Justin.