Issa Rae appeared to shade Ice Spice during an interview with the rest of the Barbie movie cast.
@vanityfair Please allow #IssaRae to choose her own theme song. Prior to the #SAGAFTRA strike, the cast of #Barbie sat down with VF to test how well they know each other. #MargotRobbie #AmericaFerrera #GretaGerwig #nickiminaj ♬ original sound – Vanity Fair
- The Barbie movie, starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, was released on Friday. Insecure star Issa Rae is also in the ensemble cast of the highly anticipated film.
- Meanwhile, rappers Ice Spice and Nicki Minaj have contributed the theme song Barbie World (ft. Aquq) to the movie soundtrack. Barbie World is a hit and debuted at number seven on the Billboard Hot 100 with 16.2 million streams.
- However, Issa is not a fan of Ice Spice and immediately shut down the idea of the rapper making a theme song for her life during a Q&A with the cast on Wednesday.
- In a TikTok video, posted by Vanity Fair, Issa asks the rest of the Barbie cast: “Who would sing/rap the theme song to my life?” She offers a clue as to who she’d chose for rapping her theme song, saying that the artist in mind is both “alive” and “poppin”
- Barbie actress America Ferrera yells out, “Ice Spice!” But, Issa immediately responds with “America, no” with apparent disdain for the rapper.
But Issa likes Nicki Minaj
- While Issa had an aversion to Ice Spice, the actress says that she would “be honored” if Nicki Minaj was up to the task. But Megan Thee Stallion would ultimately be her rapper of choice.
- However, she responded with a curt “no” to the idea of Cardi B rapping her theme song.
- Even though Issa may have shaded on the rapper, Ice Spice has a positive attitude to the haters. She tells Paper magazine: “I would say I am a critic of myself, but the second other people start to critique me, I instantly become my biggest supporter.”
- Ice Spice says she is not interested in figuring out why people like or dislike her. “I think it’s just a combination of things that makes me who I am, honestly. I can’t really pick myself apart trying to figure out why people are interested in me,” she says. “I just like to focus on having fun and being myself and thinking about what I want to do and not really what other people want me to do.”