A resurfaced video of Shawn Mendes lying about Taylor Swift’s ex-boyfriend Joe Alwyn being a “nice guy” is going viral on TikTok.
@thekylemarisa It’s not about the eyes #blinditems #gossipgirlhere #gossip #tea #hollywood #celebrity #joealwyn #shawnmendes #mlm #taylorswift #taylorsversion #taylornation #swifttok #swifties #swiftie #blueeyes #boys #lgbt ♬ Cruel Summer – Taylor Swift
- Social media users are re-sharing old footage of singer Shawn Mendes getting visibly awkward when asked about Taylor Swift’s then-boyfriend Joe Alwyn during a lie detector test.
- In September 2021, Shawn sat down with Vanity Fair to take a lie detector test for a YouTube video. The singer was asked about everything from his then-girlfriend Camila Cabello to his relationship Justin Bieber.
- During the lie detector test, Shawn was also asked about his relationship with Taylor and he wholeheartedly praised her. Shawn said he had remained close to Taylor since they did her 1989 tour together and he is “always asking her for advice on music.” The pair had last texted a month before the video was filmed.
- However, things got tense when Shawn was directly asked about Taylor’s then-boyfriend Joe during the lie detector test.
- “Do you approve of Taylor’s current boyfriend Joe Alwyn?” the interviewer asks, handing Shawn a photo of the actor. Shawn immediately responds: “I’ve never personally met Joe, but he looks like a sweet guy.”
- But the lie detector test operator swiftly shuts down Shawn’s response and tells the singer he is lying: “You’re not telling the truth. You’re being deceptive.”
- Shawn immediately starts hesitating and gets flustered about his original response. He says: “I’m lying a little bit yes. Yeah, I mean, he’s kind of got a little bit of a villain look about him. I mean, he looks like a nice guy but, like, he, at any movement, could turn into a villain, you know? He’s got really blue eyes, and I struggle with eyes that blue, you know? Like, I find it easier to trust brown eyes.”
- Shawn gets so tripped up about talking about Joe that he moves to wrap up the conversation: “I’ve talked way too much about him.”
Why it matters: Taylor fans can’t help feeling there’s more to Shawn’s comments about Joe.
- In a TikTok video, that amassed over 1.2 million views, social media users were left curious and amused by Shawn’s flustered and nervous response. Viewers suggested that “the interviewer knew something” when she randomly asked Shawn about Joe.
- Meanwhile another user said Shawn’s complex reaction suggested that “he’s definitely met Joe.” Shawn and Taylor are still close — he was photographed in the VIP tent at her Eras tour in May.
- Taylor’s and Joe’s split in April after six years together came as a shock to fans. They are now wondering if there were any clues behind their break-up in Shawn’s lie detector test two years ago.
- In recent months, the internet has been rife with rumors about Taylor’s and Joe’s split. According to a blind item posted by anonymous celebrity gossip account Deuxmoi, a source claimed that Joe was allegedly “an arrogant prick” to Taylor towards the end of their relationship.
- Taylor’s close friends all unfollowed Joe in April further suggesting that the break-up may not be amicable.
What’s next: Is Joe still single? Last week, footage allegedly showed a man resembling Joe with a mystery girl in London.