Matilda Djerf is at the center of a TikTok scandal — which could destroy her multi-million dollar fashion empire Djerf Avenue.
Matilda Djerf and The Djerf Avenue Controversy Explained
- Matilda Djerf is one of the most popular and powerful fashion and beauty influencers on TikTok.
- Known for her laid-back, minimalistic Swedish style and distinctive blown-out hair, Matilda has parlayed her immense popularity on TikTok into her own fashion label Djerf Avenue in 2019.
- Djerf Avenue became an internet hit for its nonseasonal classic ready-to-wear pieces which catered to the TikTok generation. Matilda’s brand is now estimated to be worth over $34.5 million.
- However, Matilda is now being heavily criticized after Djerf Avenue began copyright-striking other
smaller TikTok creators’ content — after they posted videos examples of more affordable “dupes” of her brand’s fashion items. Djerf Avenue’s price point is $44 to $296.
- Over the weekend, TikTok users shared screenshots of Matilda allegedly flagging their videos, which showcased less-expensive imitations of her products, for copyright infringement.
- Matilda’s fans began to turn on her for going after small creators — when she began as a small creator herself.
- Matilda’s followers also pointed out that she never actually invented this fashion aesthetic known as “clean-girl Scandinavian style” and pointed out that her brand Djerf Avenue is “actually dupes of other thing that’s she’s worn in the past made by different brands.”
- Matilda’s fashion brand consists of clothing items that her fans say existed before she launched her line — such as a vintage trench coat that she basically remade as a trench coat for Djerf Avenue.
- TikTok users called out Djerf Avenue and many fans swore that they would never buy items from the brand again.
@sumarslays #greenscreen the way that immediately changed after waking up in my djerf avenue pajamas today #fruitpajamas #amazonalternatives #djerfavenuehaul ♬ original sound – aliya
@gdsfvwrld And now apparently shes tryin to own a floral pattern that has been used for years as tablecloths girl be fr #matildadjerf #djerfavenue ♬ Voyage voyage – Desireless
@thejackieaccount silencing microinfluencers for doing EXACTLY what she did when she started is so backwards. #djerfave #dupes #matildadjerf #greenscreen #fashion ♬ original sound – Jackie
Is This The End of Djerf Avenue?
- Djerf Avenue initially put out a statement on TikTok and Instagram defending its actions. However, this move angered fans even more.
- Due to the backlash, Matilda responded by hiding and filtering comment on her TikTok.
- But the anger towards her became so intense, that Matilda has deactivated her TikTok account entirely. Matilda’s TikTok account previously had over three million followers.
- However, the TikTok account for Djerf Avenue, which has 349,000 followers, remains online.