Olivia Rodrigo refused to sing along to a Taylor Swift song at Megan Moroney’s show — fuelling the ongoing rumors of a feud between the stars.
@bubblypopdaily understudy seated for mother tay #oliviarodrigo #taylorswift #meganmoroney ♬ original sound – POP 24/7
Olivia Rodrigo Didn’t Sing Along to Taylor Swift
- Olivia Rodrigo attended country singer Megan Moroney’s show at The Troubadour in West Hollywood on October 13 during her Lucky tour.
- In a viral TikTok video, Olivia was filmed in the audience as she watched Megan’s performance of Taylor Swift’s hit song We are Never Getting Back Together. The video was captioned: “Olivia Rodrigo refusing to sing along to Taylor Swift at Megan Moroney’s show.”
- In the clip, Olivia appeared to look sullen and disinterested as she sat through the We are Never Getting Back Together cover. While the Guts singer slightly bobs her head to the music, she does not sing along to Taylor’s well-known song.
- Olivia’s reaction to Taylor’s song was strikingly different to the behavior she displayed during the rest of Megan Moroney’s show. In other clips shared on TikTok, Olivia was filmed standing up and happily singing along to other songs Megan performed during the show.
- Fans suspected that Olivia’s reluctance to sing along to Taylor was another sign of the rumored feud between the pair.
- Olivia and Taylor were openly friends for some time. However, rumors of a potential falling out between the pair began circulating online shortly after Rodrigo gave Taylor and frequent collaborator Jack Antonoff 50% of the songwriting credits and royalties for her tracks 1 step forward, 3 steps back (which interpolates Taylor’s New Years Day) and “deja vu” (which is inspired by Taylor’s Cruel Summer) in 2021.
- At the time, Olivia told Rolling Stone that she felt startled at having to retroactively credit Taylor for the songs: “I was a little caught off guard. At the time it was very confusing, and I was green and bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Is that the phrase?”
- Fans speculated that Olivia’s single Vampire — in which she sings “Bloodsucker, fame f*cker, bleedin’ me dry like a goddamn vampire!” — was about Taylor demanding credits for her tracks.
Are Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo Actually in a Feud?
- When Olivia was asked by The Guardian whether Vampire was about her beef with Taylor over the credits issue, she laughed “nervously” and responded vaguely.
- Olivia The Guardian: “How do I answer this? I mean, I never want to say who any of my songs are about. I’ve never done that before in my career and probably won’t.I think it’s better to not pigeonhole a song to being about this one thing. I was very surprised when people thought that.”
- However, on September 12, Taylor appeared to quash any rumors of a feud with Olivia by cheering for her at the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards.
taylor swift applauding when olivia rodrigos performance was announced
— liz 🖤💋💜 (@OGrodrighoe) September 13, 2023