Emily Blunt is being criticized after the actress fat-shamed a Chili’s waitress in a resurfaced interview.
Emily Blunt is being criticized for fat-shaming a waitress in resurfaced Jonathan Ross interview. https://t.co/U21YtysgX3
— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) October 20, 2023
- Fans are disappointed after The Devil Wears Prada actress Emily Blunt fat-shamed a waitress in an interview with Jonathan Ross in 2012.
- In the resurfaced clip, which is going viral on social media, Emily recounts a story of being recognized at Chili’s, in which she mocks her server for her “enormous” size.
- “So we went out for dinner at Chilli’s… The girl who was serving us was enormous, you know, I think she was getting freebie meals at Chilli’s.” TV host Jonathan responds to Emily’s comment saying “Nothing wrong with that.”
- In the full interview clip, TV host Jonathan tells the audience about the American chain restaurant: “When you go to Chili’s, you can see why so many of our American friends are enormous” — which is how Emily was led to describe her encounter with the “enormous” server.
- Fans were upset to hear Emily’s comments and felt bad for the waitress who may have watched the interview. They called Emily’s statement “uncool” especially because the “waitress probably was so nice too.” “Enormous is a hugely disrespectful word in this context. Emily Blunt should apologize,” another viewer writes.
- However, others said that fans should not get riled by Emily’s body-shaming comments in an 11-year-old interview and that the actress has probably learned her lesson since then: “Really not that deep. Disrespectful? Sure but nothing for people to cry about.”
- On October 20, Emily responded to the mountain and issued an apology for her past comments. The actress says: “I just need to address this head on as my jaw was on the floor watching this clip from 12-years ago. I’m appalled that I would say something so insensitive, hurtful, and unrelated to whatever story I was trying to tell on a talk show. I’ve always considered myself someone who wouldn’t dream of upsetting anyone so whatever possessed me to say anything like this in that moment is unrecognizable to me or anything I stand for.”
- Anne Hathaway once told US Weekly about the grueling diet that she and co-star Emily did for 2006 film The Devil Wears Prada. Anne said: “I was thin for my height. I was basically stuck with fruit, vegetables, and fish. I wouldn’t recommend that. Emily Blunt and I would clutch at each other and cry because we were so hungry,”
Update 10/21/2023 by Pesala Bandara: Information on Emily Blunt’s apology added.