Lana Del Rey denied rumors that she “grew up rich” and says her family “had absolutely no money” in a now-deleted Instagram video.
Lana Del Rey addresses rumors of growing up rich, in since deleted Instagram post. pic.twitter.com/XDQdHsRwsJ
— Season Of Lana (@SeasonOfLana) October 19, 2023
Did Lana Del Rey Grow up Rich?
- On October 18, Lana Del Rey refuted the ongoing rumors that she grew up in a wealthy family in a now-deleted Instagram video.
- In the clip, Lana said she grew up in one of “the most rural places in America” and it was “not a wealthy town.”
- Lana says she only went to a private boarding school because she got “financial aid” because her uncle worked in the administrative building. The singer claims she had a tough time because everyone knew she was poor and she was nicknamed “White trash from Lake Placid.”
- Lana says her parents argued about money every day and her dad worked as a woodworker to make ends meet. She says her father Rob Grant only became more financially successful with his internet domain developer business later on in his life.
- Lana says she only experienced having money at the age of 26 through her music career. She says she was living in a hostel on 17th Street in New York when she performed on Saturday Night Live in 2012.
- Lana also says she lived in a trailer park for some time and depended on boyfriends for accommodation until the age of 26.
- For the last 13 years, there have been claims that Lana grew up rich. In 2012, The Guardian reported that “Del Rey is in fact the daughter of a millionaire father who has backed her career.”
- Lana says the rumors about her wealthy background are “sad” and she wants her “authentic story told so my music can be listened to and interpreted to in a clear manner.”
People need to leave Lana Del Rey alone, no one knows or owns her story but her. pic.twitter.com/LGIW1ccCV3
— The Cult Of Del Rey (@CinamonSluh) October 20, 2023
Lana Del Rey commented on an Instagram post, accusing her of “Growing up rich” pic.twitter.com/LHDF9jXp6I
— Season Of Lana (@SeasonOfLana) October 18, 2023