Michael Fassbender’s history of domestic abuse allegations has resurfaced as he makes his return to the big screen in David Fincher’s The Killer this year.
The Allegations Against Michael Fassbender
- The official trailer for David Fincher’s long-awaited film The Killer starring Michael Fassbender was released two weeks ago. The movie, which will be released on Netflix in November, will be the actor’s first film in four years.
- However, the trailer for The Killer has received backlash after fans discovered the shocking domestic abuse allegations that Michael has previously been accused of.
- Michael has been married to Tomb Raider actress Alicia Vikander since 2017. However, his former girlfriend Sunawin “Leasi” Andrews says she was a victim of disturbing domestic abuse at the hands of Michael from 2009 to 2010 — a few years before the actor made his X-Men debut as Magneto.
- In September 2010, TMZ reported that a then 36-year-old Sunawin had filed a petition for a restraining order against Michael in LA County Superior Court.
- Sunawin accused Michael of physically abusing her on multiple occasions and sought $24,000 to pay for the associated medical bills.
- In one incident, at a film festival in July 2009, Sunawin claimed that Michael had hit her hard with a bottle after the actor had woken up in a puddle of his own urine following a night of drinking. Michael also allegedly threw Sunawin over a chair and broke her nose.
- In another incident, Michael allegedly became angry after Sunawin’s ex-boyfriend said hello to her, the actor, and two friends at a restaurant. According to court documents, Michael allegedly dragged Sunawin alongside their car on their way home from the restaurant. Sunawin allegedly went to the hospital with a twisted left ankle, blown out left knee cap, a burst ovarian cyst, and internal bleeding as a result of the incident.
- When Sunawin filed a petition for a restraining against Michael, she listed the “date of most recent abuse” as November 18, 2009. She requested that Michael stay 100 yards away from herself and her two children and that the actor enroll in a 52-week batterer intervention program.
- According to records, a judge granted a temporary restraining order against Michael at the time, but it expired when Sunawin withdrew her petition one day before the hearing for a permanent protective order. Court papers do not indicate why she canceled her request.
— MONITOR REPUBLICANO (@monirepublicano) February 14, 2018
Has Michael Fassbender Ever Commented on The Allegations Against Him?
- Michael has never commented on the accusations from his former girlfriend Sunawin and his representatives appear to never have responded to repeated requests by various publications for comment.
- Michael’s mother Adele previously told the Daily Mail: “Anyone who knows Michael at all knows that it’s a complete fabrication.”
- While the actor’s father Josef told The Irish Sun in 2018: “I don’t know where she [Sunawin] is getting this story from, Michael is the most gentle man you could ever meet.”
- In February 2018, The Daily Beast contacted Sunawin by phone. Sunawin declined to comment on the story and referred the reporter to her court filings, saying: “You’ve got the paperwork. What more is there to say?”
What’s next: Despite the troubling resurfaced allegations against Michael, The The Killer’s trailer has amassed over 9.6 million views in two weeks and the movie is still generating a lot of buzz. However, social media users on Reddit and Twitter have been calling out the actor’s alleged past in the lead-up to the film’s release.